- Permanent full time (option for .9 and flexitime on negotiation)
- Senior level role, 100-120k depending on experience
- Start date ASAP
- Located in Melbourne CBD
Silverpond is a team of data scientists, machine learning specialists, and software engineers who design solutions to hard problems. We love ethics, big data, and forward-thinking AI.
We specialise in applying innovations from academic research, bringing our clients the most cutting-edge solutions. Over 13 years we have developed solutions for clients in industries including utilities, retail, broadcasting, healthcare, education, technology, and research.
In addition to working on exciting challenges, you’ll join a lovely office family of people and animals. We have a strong focus on peer-to-peer learning and community projects, and encourage you to pursue your interests. Want to host meetups in our office, build an AI passion project, or pursue machine learning solutions that make a positive impact? We’ll support you to get it done.
You will contribute to the creation of tools and instrumentation involved in artificial intelligence; this includes client projects as well as our own product Highlighter. You will build out technology connected by web services and high-volume, high-availability queues, hosted in the cloud and spiked on powerful GPU development boxes in the office (great in winter!).
Proactive collaboration is a key aspect of this role, and there is the opportunity for decision-making and mentoring of junior staff if you wish to take this on. There is also the option to participate in our education and community initiatives such as training workshops, meetups, and ethical AI advocacy.
- Develop Web services and Micro services
- Process high volumes of content, reliably and quickly
- Collaborate and discuss solutions
- Core tasks will change depending on current projects
- Software – Services, Tools, Documentation, Tests
- Collaboration – Ideas, Feedback, Brainstorming, Decisions
- Consultation with clients – Recommendations and Advice, Updates, Estimates
Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
Minimum two years of experience with software engineering, as this is not an entry-level role. We are open to all kinds of experience, whether this is work experience, postgraduate educational experience, or significant personal projects.
These are just some of the skills that might support your application – we do not expect you do have them all, and we’re also interested in hearing about other cool things you’ve done and can do!
Technical skills that would support your application:
- At least two years of professional software engineering experience
- Strong grasp of software engineering concepts such as: Version Control, Unix, Client-Server Architectures, Async Architectures, and Web Technology
- Backend Web application language, e.g. Ruby or Elixir
- Functional programming
- Cloud eg., AWS, GCP, Azure
- Demonstrated interest in machine learning
Non-technical qualities that would support your application:
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience working with clients
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly
- Confident presenting and defending analysis to client; open to feedback
- T-shaped skill set (diverse knowledge with expertise in one or two key areas)
- Excited by a challenge
- Curious and driven
How to apply
We are committed to diversity and pay equity. We would like to see a more balanced tech community, and strongly encourage people of all backgrounds and gender identities to apply. That said, please note that we are not currently able to sponsor work visas.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV, a cover letter, and anything else you’d like to include to firstname.lastname@example.org.