- Join an innovation team delivering Machine Learning solutions
- Permanent full time position
- Located in Melbourne CBD (and or remote working)
Silverpond applies AI to help our customers digitise the physical world.
Working with well known brands across industries such as energy, conservation, utilities, retail and healthcare, we solve real world problems with cutting-edge research.
Our product HighLighter helps our customers operationalise the machine learning process enabling end-users to benefit from the results in their everyday workflow. See here for just some of our case studies.
At Silverpond we help our customers apply machine learning technology through our product Highlighter and associated services. Your role in this involves developing core tools that can be reused (eg., evaluation, tracking) so that we can reduce our iteration time. You will also be involved in helping us select and test new machine learning technologies to invest into, as we build upon the work of others.
As such, you will be developing machine learning models (particularly computer vision) to solve a wide range of business problems; this includes client projects as well as our own product HighLighter. You will survey current research and its applicability to business problems, develop new models and adapt existing models, design metrics and loss functions, and evaluate and report on model performance.
Furthermore, you will have exposure to business stakeholders and their objectives where you can have input into identifying opportunities for machine learning to make an impact in their business. You will help develop and communicate work plans to deliver on these objectives, and perform targeted research to reduce uncertainty.
Proactive collaboration is a key aspect of this role as you’ll be working in a team environment at Silverpond and often in collaboration with clients.
- Consultation: Client-facing communication, advice, project scoping, estimates, and updates
- Machine learning models: Development, training, and evaluation
- Collaboration: Ideas, feedback, and decisions
- Consultation with clients to clarify business objectives and identify opportunities
- Developing roadmaps and work plans to deliver against objectives
- Reading and understanding existing research (papers and open-source code)
- Performing feasibility studies / POCs to reduce uncertainty
- Developing evaluation metrics to measure progress
- Integrating models with larger software systems
- Communicating progress to stakeholders
Experience and Skills
To be successful in your role, you will need the following:
Two to three years of experience with ML/AI, as this is not an entry-level role. We are open to all kinds of experience, whether this is work experience, postgraduate academic experience, or significant personal projects, so long as your models have been deployed into production and have been maintained.
Technical skills that would support your application:
- Understanding of data-science fundamentals (statistical algorithms and interpretation)
- Experience training computer vision models for a variety of applications and domains
- Deployment of computer vision models as services or within streaming frameworks e.g. DeepStream
- Mid-level software engineering skills (e.g. ~50 file projects)
- Experience with ML frameworks; scikit-learn, Tensorflow & PyTorch, TensorRT preferred
- Optimisation of deep learning models
- Developer tools; version control, unix shell, etc.
- ModelOps; versioning and tracking deployed models, training data, evaluation metrics, etc
- Some DevOps skills; containerization (Docker), cloud platforms (e.g. AWS)
- Engagement with emerging research, particularly in deep learning and computer vision
- Experience implementing ML research papers as code
- At least one other language to Python
Non-technical qualities that would support your application:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with experts in different fields
- Consultation skills; clarifying objectives, developing work plans, communicating updates
- Confident presenting to clients and colleagues; open to feedback
- Curious, driven, and excited by a challenge
How to apply
We would like to see a more balanced and diverse tech community, and strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV, a cover letter, and anything else you’d like to include to email@example.com.
Please note: Must have right to work in Australia, no 457 Visa sponsorship available.