- Permanent full time
- Senior level role
- Located in Melbourne CBD
Silverpond is a team of data scientists, machine learning specialists, and software engineers who design solutions to hard problems. We love ethics, big data, and forward-thinking AI.
We specialise in applying innovations from academic research, bringing our clients the most cutting-edge solutions. Over 13 years we have developed solutions for clients in industries including utilities, retail, broadcasting, healthcare, education, technology, and research.
In addition to working on exciting challenges, you’ll join a lovely team and a rotating cast of office dogs and cats. We have a strong focus on peer-to-peer learning and community projects, and encourage you to pursue your interests. Want to host meetups in our office, build an AI passion project, or pursue machine learning solutions that make a positive impact? We’ll support you to get it done.
You will develop machine learning models to solve a wide range of business problems; this includes client projects as well as our own product Highlighter. You will survey current research and its applicability to business problems, develop new models and adapt existing models, design metrics and loss functions, and evaluate and report on model performance. At this time we are particularly looking for computer vision expertise, although are open to other specialties as well.
Furthermore, you will act as a consultant to business stakeholders. You will interview them about their objectives, and identify opportunities where machine learning can make an impact in their business. You will develop and communicate work plans to deliver on these objectives, and perform targeted research to reduce uncertainty, while keeping the client up to date on progress.
Proactive collaboration is a key aspect of this role, and there is the opportunity for decision-making and mentoring of junior staff if you wish to take this on. There is also the option to participate in our education and community initiatives such as training workshops, meetups, and ethical AI advocacy.
- Consultation: Client-facing communication, advice, project scoping, estimates, and updates
- Machine learning models: Development, training, and evaluation
- Collaboration: Ideas, feedback, and decisions
- Consultation with clients to clarify business objectives and identify opportunities
- Developing roadmaps and work plans to deliver against objectives
- Reading and understanding existing research (papers and open-source code)
- Performing feasibility studies / POCs to reduce uncertainty
- Developing evaluation metrics to measure progress
- Integrating models with larger software systems
- Communicating progress to stakeholders
Experience and Skills
Minimum two years of experience with ML/AI, as this is not an entry-level role. We are open to all kinds of experience, whether this is work experience, postgraduate academic experience, or significant personal projects.
These are just some of the skills that might support your application – we do not expect you to have them all, and we’re also interested in hearing about other cool things you’ve done and can do!
Technical skills that would support your application:
- Understanding of data-science fundamentals (statistical algorithms and interpretation), bonus for understanding of computer vision projects
- Mid-level software engineering skills (e.g. ~50 file projects)
- Experience with ML frameworks; scikit-learn, Tensorflow & PyTorch preferred
- Developer tools; version control, unix shell, etc.
- Some DevOps skills; containerization (Docker), cloud platforms (e.g. AWS)
- Engagement with emerging research, particularly in deep learning
- T-shaped skill set (diverse breadth of knowledge with expertise in one or two key areas)
Non-technical qualities that would support your application:
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Consultation skills; clarifying objectives, developing work plans, communicating updates
- Confident presenting to clients and colleagues; open to feedback
- Curious, driven, and excited by a challenge
How to apply
We would like to see a more balanced and diverse tech community, and strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV, a cover letter, and anything else you’d like to include to email@example.com.
Please note: Must have right to work in Australia, no 457 Visa sponsorship available.