- Full time (option for .9FTE and flexitime on negotiation) or Contract
- Mid level role, 80-100k depending on experience
- Start date March 2018
- Located in Melbourne CBD
Silverpond is a team of data scientists, machine learning specialists, and software engineers who design solutions to hard problems. We love ethics, big data, and forward-thinking AI.
We specialise in applying innovations from academic research, bringing our clients the most cutting-edge solutions. Over 13 years we have developed solutions for clients in industries including utilities, retail, broadcasting, healthcare, education, technology, and research.
In addition to working on exciting challenges, you’ll join a lovely office family of people and animals. We have a strong focus on peer-to-peer learning and community projects, and encourage you to pursue your interests. Want to host meetups in our office, build an AI passion project, or pursue machine learning solutions that make a positive impact? We’ll support you to get it done.
In your role at Silverpond, you’ll work towards maintaining a high quality, reliable, repeatable, and supportable deployment of our services. In addition to this, you will have the opportunity to champion the use of modern devops methodologies and practices and take part in the evolving adoption of these practices within the team.
This role has a focus on collaboration, education, and the sharing of knowledge with the team. There is also the option to participate in education and community initiatives such as training workshops, meetups, and ethical AI advocacy.
You’ll be directly responsible for the following areas, both for client projects and our own product:
- Site Reliability
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment
- On-Call response to service incidents
You can expect to contribute to some of the following tasks:
- Maintain and develop a complete, scalable and auto-healing cloud solution
- Collaborate with front end, back end and mobile app development teams on user-facing features and services
- Identify and remove performance bottlenecks
- Stay up to date on relevant technologies, engage various user groups, understand trends and opportunities that ensure we are using the best techniques and tools in your area of responsibility
- Work with other engineers on developing continuous integration (CI) pipeline and unit test automation
- Document and communicate your work
- Design, deploy and support software into AWS
- Implement and manage orchestration tools and work on automating entire technical stack
- Engage in Agile practices with our team and clients when required
- Codify our service deployments using Infrastructure as Code practices for AWS
- Further our adoption of security best practises for our services
Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
We are open to all kinds of experience, whether this is work experience, postgraduate educational experience, or significant personal projects.
These are just some of the skills that might support your application – we do not expect you do have them all, and we’re also interested in hearing about other cool things you’ve done and can do!
Technical experience that would support your application:
- Linux – Ubuntu/Debian based distros
AWS technologies including:
- Elastic Beanstalk
- Elastic Container Store
- CloudFormation / Terraform
Understanding of Ruby on Rails and Python environments a plus. Strong software engineering skills and experience, and an interest in machine learning and artificial intelligence, will be looked on favourably.
Non-technical qualities that would support your application:
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; this is a very collaborative role, and we run a very collaborative office
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly
- T-shaped skill set (diverse knowledge with expertise in one or two key areas)
- Excited by a challenge
- Curious and driven
- Experience consulting / working with clients
How to apply
We would like to see a more balanced and diverse tech community, and strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV, a cover letter, and anything else you’d like to include to email@example.com.
Please note: Must have right to work in Australia, no 457 Visa sponsorship available.